Iannis Xenakis

Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 | |




Seeing the national french symphony playing works by xenakis might have been the climax of my musical existence.
it was exquisite. it made the seasoned professionals sweat, all eyes so intent as to seem to be igniting the sheet music in front of them, absolute concentration for the music below, which is so completely beyond me as to belong in its own universe.

Transcendant.

I wish my mind could wrap itself around the compositions below, the pure technical nature of notes for a symphony come to life, a conceptual wilderness of strange and unusual creatures, capable of being symbols for something as organic and animate as sound, not just sound, but music.

I get strangely heated when I look at the compositions of xenakis-- the absolute perfection of planes, geometry, mathematics-- beautiful rich, so rich, those numbers and the way xenakis's mind organizes his music. That is what gets me, the way his mind was so alive! So intensely and violently alive, that he could envision translating his concepts into such a framework never before seen, considered, new and naked and raw and so pure in its inception that it hurts to look at it. This was the way this man's mind worked. Frick.

Thinking in 6-D, 100-D, dimensions and dimensions, infinities. Numbers not named, found, beyond human comprehension, hell, existence.

Like his mind was beyond human and something born in the ether.

that I almost believe myself thinking that somewhere in there must be the key to life, the universe, any and all meaning of everything everything everything!

An x and y axis to heaven.

Cells on fire from all of this (can everyone feel so passionately as me? it sort of hurts and interferes with the practicalities of living but I wouldn't trade it for the world).

Cells on fire! What a LOVELY way to spend an early Wednesday mornings!















2 comments:

  1. Unknown said...
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.
  3. Anonymous said...
  4. Yes bro it sure does the same to me...I am a huge fan of his now... Though I have just started to listen to Avant garde Music and just started to understand it little... I feel so struck by every work of his... I mean who would have thought about using Markovian process in Music composition given way to Markovian Music theory...

    Man he was a guy who belonged to the heaven rather to earth when he was living...

    Such an amazing composer... As you mentioned its all so perfect that it can't be done any better...

    Too bad I don't get to see such performances like the one you experienced as the place I live in is not open to Music especially to avant garde Music...

    A true genius of our time and definitely a genius beyond our time too...

Post a Comment